IMPORTANT // Please do not submit assignments in pdf format. Submit assignments to: firstname.lastname@example.org Name your file in the following format [firstname_lastname_country] Example "Nina_Roberts_India" // Assignment 1 Steve Jobs Commencement Speech The Drum Major Instinct by Dr. King The Moral Bucket List by David Brooks EXAMPLES OF LEADERS - POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE [su_document url="https://kectilcolleagues.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Kectil-Assignment-No.-One.pdf" width="620" height="700" title="Assignment 1"]
- 6 months ago
Dear Kectil Colleagues, We hope you, your family and friends are staying healthy in this unusual time and following guidelines for responsible behavior! Let’s flatten the curve globally and get rid of COVID19 quickly!
Given the challenges of isolation and quarantine, we want to give you extra time to respond to Assignment 2 if you need it. Therefore, with compassion, we will extend the deadline to submit your response to Assignment 2 to May 11th.
Assignment 2 on “Personal Branding and Social Media” is even more important now as we face COVID19. During this period of isolation, youth are turning to Social Media more than ever to create connections. This should be done in a positive way, as highlighted in our Assignment.
For Colleagues who already wrote to Kectil to request an extension, please keep on working and submit by your new given due date. All assignment submissions should be sent to email@example.com. May 11th will be the last day we accept submissions for this Assignment.Posting of Assignment 1 Submissions on Kectil Colleagues website Great job submitting Assignment 1! You rock! We have posted the submissions from Assignment 1 on the Kectil Colleagues website. We hope you have gone to the website and reviewed the submissions of all of your peers from so many countries. They will give you great insight into Leadership issues globally, and will also allow you to compare what you wrote to the submissions of others. Quality Awards For 2020, Kectil will be giving Quality Awards for the best Assignment submissions. We are a bit backed up with this on Assignment 1, due to the COVID19 disruption, but will announce the awards for Assignment 1 in due time, and we appreciate your patience. We will be again selecting the best Assignment 2 submissions from each region of the world in several categories for Quality Awards! Do the best you can on Assignment 2 so that you can win one of the monthly Awards! We will highlight the winners on the website each month! Assignment 2 Deadline and Requirements Kectil is now pleased to release Assignment 2: Social Media and Personal Branding. This is a very important subject that affects youth in all countries. Assignment No.2 will be due Monday, May 11th, 2020. You can submit your assignment at any time prior to or on the deadline. We will not accept late submissions unless you have asked for an extension in advance of the deadline for good reason which we have also approved in advance. Leaders meet their deadlines! If you need an extension, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with an explanation of the good cause for the extension. Your assignment should be submitted to email@example.com. Please use Word, not PDF, to submit your assignment. At the top of your assignment, please type your full name and country. ASSIGNMENT 2: SOCIAL MEDIA AND PERSONAL BRANDING
- INFLUENCE OF SOCIAL MEDIA ON YOUTH
- We attach four articles for you to read:
- Excessive Use of Social Media (Sherri Gordon, www.verywellmind.com, March 9 2020)
- Negative v. Positive Social Media Experiences and Depressive Symptoms (Dr Brian Primack, M.D., Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh 2016)
- How to Turn Depressing Social Media into a Positive Influence (Geoffrey Morrison, New York Times, January 15, 2020)
- Fake News article (Wikipedia)
- Please write a short paragraph of less than 300 words on the negative personal effects of social media on youth in your community or country. Have you or someone you know experienced depression, cyberbullying, or other negative result of using social media? How was it handled, if at all? What is the youth social media culture in your country? Can youth take a stand and change the culture?
- In your opinion, is excessive use of social media by youth an addiction? Are the damaging effects as bad as drinking or drugs?
- It is said that use of social media reduces job and academic performance either by wasting time or by consistent mental distractions. Do you think this is true or false and why?
- Please write a paragraph of 400 words or less on whether social media played a role in government elections or politics in your community or country? Have you experienced “Fake News” in your country? Have you observed the attempted manipulation of public opinion using social media as a platform? Has any social media networking been shut down or censored?
- Please write a paragraph of 300 words or less on whether current social media “Influencers” are having a positive or a negative effect on youth in your country? Are they “Influencing” the right subjects and actions? Please be specific and provide names.
- Is there a lack of positive role models in your community or country? Does social media make it better or worse? What kind of role models would you like to see leading the voice on social media? How can you and your peers make that happen?
- Do social media platforms like Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook lead to narcissism—an effort to get self-attention? Is it leading to the “look at me” syndrome? How is that damaging to the poster and to the reader?
- Is it possible for youth to show the self-discipline to limit themselves to 2 hours a day on social media?
- A positive aspect of social media is education and awareness. Please describe a few examples where youth in your community have learned about an issue or subject and reacted appropriately to address a situation because of a social media campaign.
- PERSONAL BRANDING
- Watch the Kectil Web Session now posted on the Kectil Colleagues website, which features the TV broadcaster, media star and frequent speaker Nozipho Mbwanje who has prepared an entire web session on how to create your own personal brand and how to present yourself positively to others in a variety of situations. We can all learn from Nozipho’s excellent and seasoned advice on how to speak, dress and communicate to have a maximum impact.
- Think critically about what image you project when people meet you in person. What is your message? How does who you speak, dress, your body language, your hair, all give a subtle message about who you are and what you think is important? Answer in a short paragraph what kind of image you want to present and whether you accomplish that.
- Assume you are looking an employer looking to fill an entry level position. What would you look for when interviewing a youth candidate in person? Would the following matter?
- Is the candidate timely? Did he/she show up at or before any agreed time and ready to do the task at hand? Timeliness is a major indicator of professionalism.
- Did the candidate study and get prepared for the meeting? Did he/she read materials ahead of time to get ready for a meeting or did he/she try to slip by and fake the way through with no preparation?
- Did the candidate speak with a combination of humility, authority and preparedness?
- List other attributes you would look for when you interview the candidate for the job.
- After watching Nozipho’s Web Session, write a short paragraph about how to give a good oral presentation on an important topic with a powerpoint slide deck.
- Assume again that you are an employer looking to hire a youth for an entry level position. Would you check their social media? What kinds of things on social media would keep you from hiring someone?
- PANEL DISCUSSION
- Describe the study by Dr. Primack and colleagues in 2014-2016 at the University of Pittsburgh which found there is a significant, linear relationship between social media use and depression, measured either as total time or frequency of visits.
- Ask your panelists if they agree that excessive use of social media can cause depression and why or why not.
- Lead a discussion on cyberbullying and “herd behavior” (i.e., forcing everyone to think the same way).
- Do your panelists think there a relationship between the amount of use of social media and lack of productivity, mental distraction and inability to get a job done?
- Review the Kectil 15 Rules of Social Media Use. Collect the comments of your panelists. Do they agree or disagree with the Kectil Social Media Rules? Do they think they can comply with these Rules? Would they be willing to distribute them to others?
- 4 months ago
- Assignment 1