Khairullina Kamila – Russia

• May 12, 2020 at 1:31 pm #2616
    Huong Nguyen
    Keymaster

Khairullina Kamila. Russia.
    Kectil Assignment No. Two

A. INFLUENCE OF SOCIAL MEDIA ON YOUTH
    2. Please write a short paragraph of less than 300 words on the negative personal effects of social media on youth in your community or country. Have you or someone you know experienced depression, cyberbullying, or other negative result of using social media? How was it handled, if at all? What is the youth social media culture in your country? Can youth take a stand and change the culture?
    Personally, my social networks do not cause depression, I just don’t like the fact that the Internet has become like a garbage can, in which precious information sometimes flashes.
    Besides, now most people use social networks for personal gain, to profit by deceiving, bullying other people, looking for various ways to manipulate. Yes, some bring good, spread information about the possibility of changing the world for the better, but still, unfortunately, most of the information is rubbish and evil.
    In the modern world, many insist on digital hygiene, so as not to clutter up their brains, not to give false information to manage themselves, not to succumb to oppressive posts, to think rationally, not to let other people influence their personal lives. And I completely agree with that. You need to understand what is in front of you and whether it is worth using.
    In Russia, as in all other countries, the Internet is used for various purposes, both good and bad. But I am glad that on social networks there are groups of young people who are trying to engage in educational activities, training, show what is good and what is bad, they are fighting for the rights and freedoms of people. I think if you stop creating informational noise, stop attempts of aggression and incitement to bad actions, give a rational choice with a full explanation of each option, then the world of the “network” can be changed for the better.
    3. In your opinion, is excessive use of social media by youth an addiction? Are the damaging effects as bad as drinking or drugs?
    Yes, I believe that many people have become information-dependent. Due to a large amount of information, largely of poor quality, they have already ceased to distinguish between good and bad things and they just need to spend time in the virtual world. Such people become depressed or even aggressive. They live in an illusory world, consider themselves not good enough, bold, smart, alive, right, which leads to disastrous consequences. These people begin to envy, poison other people, eating bad emotions that drag them in, and in the end, kill the person in the person.
    There are exceptions, but, unfortunately, there are not many such strong and independent people. We need to change it right now.
    4. It is said that use of social media reduces job and academic performance either by wasting time or by consistent mental distractions. Do you think this is true or false and why?
    Not all people tend to succumb to bad influence, both in real life and in virtual. I believe that in our time the impact of these two worlds is equivalent. Some people use their time on social networks to relax, distract and search for materials, and some to escape from reality, increase self-esteem through insults to other people (usually whom they consider successful), a waste of time. Procrastination through the virtual world is simpler and time passes faster.
    It is necessary to control yourself and your time. To be engaged in hygiene not only physical but also mental and digital.
    5. Please write a paragraph of 400 words or less on whether social media played a role in government elections or politics in your community or country? Have you experienced “Fake News” in your country? Have you observed the attempted manipulation of public opinion using social media as a platform? Has any social media networking been shut down or censored?
    Of course, these are all political games that are conducted at a “high” level. Many people do not realize that even the most everyday information can be used to destabilize the state and its personalities. Manipulating, stuffing false news, buying a press, insider information, or vice versa hiding information – everything is used for certain purposes that we do not always know and understand.
    This is not only in Russia but also in other countries, too. For example, there was recently a case when my friends and acquaintances from Africa, the USA, and Europe asked about the information about Russia that they saw on television news that was a pure lie (news about the release of wild animals on the streets of Russian cities in order to maintain isolation of residents in their homes during the COVID-19 pandemic).
    6. Please write a paragraph of 300 words or less on whether current social media “Influencers” are having a positive or a negative effect on youth in your country? Are they “Influencing” the right subjects and actions? Please be specific and provide names.
    Unfortunately, I can’t provide you information about “Influential” Social Media, since I don’t have any idea which “Influential” media are. I have a lot of work-related to legislation, analytics, and consulting people to protect their rights and interests. Often, I use the official websites of organizations to get the information I need. Most often, I use social networks for entertainment and relaxation (listening to music, watching TV shows and movies, talking with family and friends who are in another city or country).
    I like a live dialogue between people.
    7. Is there a lack of positive role models in your community or country? Does social media make it better or worse? What kind of role models would you like to see leading the voice on social media? How can you and your peers make that happen?
    All people in various social networks, whose audience is 500 or more people, have a certain power. They can influence their subscribers like celebrities with a millionth audience. Turning over the consciousness of one, you can turn the consciousness of many. This is a whole chain of people, ideas, and events. An idea like a virus infects one and many more followers will come. You need to be careful about everything.
    8. Do social media platforms like Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook lead to narcissism—an effort to get self-attention? Is it leading to the “look at me” syndrome? How is that damaging to the poster and to the reader?
    Yes, currently this syndrome is no longer uncommon. I believe that the motto “Look at me and do as I do” is not always useful. This leads to the development of a “herd instinct” in people.
    And there is a problem that readers of many celebrity pages who show only their positive side of life, cause insecure people a sense of inferiority, concern for their meager life and lead to an accumulation of problems in real life. Many try to be like their idols, but they don’t understand where and why they spend their money, time, and health.
    People begin to live someone else’s life, instead of their own.
    9. Is it possible for youth to show the self-discipline to limit themselves to 2 hours a day on social media?
    Of course, it is possible, but the point is to convince people so that they themselves want to spend less time in the virtual world amid constant information noise. So that people understand that you need to live your life, to achieve your heights, and not force your opinion on others. You cannot cross the borders of other people to expand your borders.
    10. A positive aspect of social media is education and awareness. Please describe a few examples where youth in your community have learned about an issue or subject and reacted appropriately to address a situation because of a social media campaign.
    Indeed, awareness and education in the modern world have risen to a new level. There are many useful educational platforms in the world now. Even social media can carry a lot of useful information (if there is no data distortion).
    Problems with domestic violence are repeatedly covered in the media. So, people begin to understand that if they do not see what is happening in families, this does not mean that this does not happen at all. Domestic violence is bad and it is necessary to deal with this as a whole society to protect the weak and helpless.
    Corruption problems when a person with ties committed a crime. For example, a man knocked down on his car the other man and disappeared from the scene of the crime, but eyewitnesses photographed the criminal on the phone and recorded the number of the car, then posted it on the Internet with comments on what had happened. Thus, it is possible to suppress the use of relations to avoid responsibility for the deed.
    On social media, you can also help find a person; find a new owner for an abandoned animal; find a donor for blood transfusion, and much more.

B. PERSONAL BRANDING
    Think critically about what image you project when people meet you in person. What is your message? How does who you speak, dress, your body language, your hair, all give a subtle message about who you are and what you think is important? Answer in a short paragraph what kind of image you want to present and whether you accomplish that.
    a. Assume you are looking an employer looking to fill an entry level position. What would you look for when interviewing a youth candidate in person? Would the following matter?
    i. Is the candidate timely? Did he/she show up at or before any agreed time and ready to do the task at hand? Timeliness is a major indicator of professionalism.
    ii. Did the candidate study and get prepared for the meeting? Did he/she read materials ahead of time to get ready for a meeting or did he/she try to slip by and fake the way through with no preparation?
    iii. Did the candidate appear reliable and trustworthy?
    iv. Did the candidate speak with a combination of humility, authority and preparedness?
    v. List other attributes you would look for when you interview the candidate for the job.
    b. After watching Nozipho’s Web Session, write a short paragraph about how to give a good oral presentation on an important topic with a powerpoint slide deck.
    c. Assume again that you are an employer looking to hire a youth for an entry level position. Would you check their social media? What kinds of things on social media would keep you from hiring someone?
    Answering these questions, I want to say that people can look great, say those things that you want to hear about, but this may be the person who came to deceive you and take advantage of your position.
    Yes, you can be neatly dressed, have good expensive accessories, but have nothing behind your soul. You may have bad thoughts, but to achieve your goals you will play the role you need.
    Unfortunately, I often came across such people, so the expressed point of view is extremely subjective.
    I always try to behave the way I do in everyday life. Since childhood, I have the habit of saying what I think. I adhere to my style in clothes and it is not always “polished”, if this is not an official reception, then I will be happy to walk in a homely, free, sporty style.
    It is important to me that the people I meet see my sincere intentions for cooperation and honesty.
    It’s better to stop communication right away than to give a person false hope for further communication.
    Answering a question about the employer, I will say the following:
    Yes, I would look at how a person submits himself, that he says what he is wearing, but I would attach greater importance to his behavior and actions. If he speaks and does what he speaks about, then this is a man of honor, you can start cooperating with him. If a person is late but said the true reason without lies and falsehood, then this person can be trusted. If a person has read information about the company he came to get a job in, studied the structure and management, then he intends to get a job in this organization, since he respects your work and your time, and is ready to spend his time and health on your organization.
    Checking social media is a necessity nowadays. A person must understand that he is fasting, that he is saying, being aware that his information that he said in his profile does not discredit him. A page on a social network as an application to a resume.
    And I would also pay attention to how a person reacts to criticism in his direction and the direction of other people.

C. PANEL DISCUSSION
    Discussions, unfortunately, did not work, as my friends are in other cities and countries with different time zones, and they also had a lot of work. But I want to share the answers and thoughts of some of them.
    Julia.
    In my opinion, the problem of dependence on social networks is very large. Every day we check our email, messengers, and application instead of learning real social rhetoric. At first glance, all social networks and applications are harmless and we suppose that we spend seconds on them but if we will regularly check our screen time, we able to see that that time can be too long.
    New social networks though bloggers and others stars tell are what to wear, what to eat and what time, what to listen, and how to think e.g. and Whalen a person isn’t able to complete all diets jogs or buy all things which bloggers advised we can be depressed and disappointed.
    As a result, there are two sides and if a person knows how to rationally distribute his time and hears himself then he will not catch these traps but only how many people like this do you know?
    Labor productivity directly depends on our mood and strength. If a person a lot of time thinking about the life of a blogger or worried because of work he doesn’t have time to make sport from app training this distracts him from work and puts work on a second-place.
    Ivan.
    Here it’s worthwhile to immediately understand that, without specifics, discussing the benefits of harming social networks is similar to discussing the benefits and harms of, for example, dynamite. They can blow the mountains or people.
    Excessive use of SOME social networks can cause depression. Something like a glossy effect happens: people always post photos on social networks with the best moments, the best shots, the best filters, etc., and the person who views them subconsciously compares them with themselves. Moreover, “them” – from the world of their photos, and not their life.
    But there is BUT! The level of this “pressure” of social networks largely depends on the general erudition of the one who uses these social networks.
    Another option for using social networks is to view groups, not profiles. Here, social networks can be compared with the media – 95 percent of all information is either a lie, or humor (not the highest level), or negative news. And why? Because evolutionarily people are used to paying more attention to the negative. BUT! If there is a lot of negativity, it tends to accumulate, and can soon cause fear, apathy, and even depression.
    A person can use networks such as change.org and LinkedIn, and now they are more likely to increase productivity (the first is due to the effect of a good deed when having voted for something good, the person is in high spirits and is inclined to more concentration and perseverance, second – due to a short-term increase in determination). Or maybe social networks like VK, OK, FB, and Mail.ru – here, with excessive use of such social networks, you can observe a correlation, which has been repeatedly proved (again, with excessive!). On the other hand, moderate use of entertaining social networks can, on the contrary, improve productivity (the effect of the Pomodoro principle, when the brain manages to concentrate and relax).
    Aisuluu.
    Social networks do not cause depression in me, probably everything depends on your attitude to social networks.
    Many of my friends very often burn bridges – they are removed from Instagram because they feel the pressure. Perhaps they attach great importance to their pages or the pages of other people. The question is how they relate to their Instagram.
    I noticed that on my Instagram I write and publish a lot of posts of a positive nature, those with a negative nature – they were written in notes and remained there. I allow people on Instagram to see only the good that is in my life, perhaps they think that everything is always good with me.
    Yes, social networks can cause depression, but only for those who put the value of social networks higher. In my case, it does not cause depression, stress, and all that.
    About Cyberbullying. Yes, this, unfortunately, is, it is very scary, firstly, it can be when it is used for mischief, secondly, when it concerns personal data for work and life in general, which can be used for fraudulent purposes, mercenary purposes.
    Digital hygiene should be for safety.
    About herd behavior – When they take and repeat every other person’s actions on a carbon copy, without even thinking whether it is right or not. This is even more in real life than in an online environment.
    Question about the impact of social networks on performance.
    In my case, I have a lot of serious work, where concentration is needed, so when I go to social networks, I have the same Instagram, then this is just to get distracted. My brain is resting, I feel better, I switch.
    But frequent access to social networks affects the performance of other people who just go in and get lost in them, then they can’t explain why they flipped through the feed, what it was for. A lot of attention is paid not to the necessary, which affects the inability to do their job.

The forum ‘Assignment 2’ is closed to new topics and replies.