Mahrigozel Agamyradova – Turkmenistan

• May 12, 2020 at 9:53 am #2593
    Huong Nguyen
    Keymaster

Mahrigozel Agamyradova, Turkmenistan
    The negative personal effects of social media on youth in my country.
    Nowadays, technology is developing and vast attention is paid to the Internet and social media. It has become a part of life around the globe and a lot of people work through the net for a living. There is a stereotype about the negative effects of social media on teenagers and youngsters, but, sadly, one can think that it influences on adults too.
    Speaking about particularly my country, Turkmenistan, it is known that there is no easy way to have access to several social media apps. People should pay for the VPN every month. On the one hand, it can be useful, so that they do not waste their time. On the other hand, those who need to check messages or news, for example on Instagram, have to pay for this. I personally experienced the disadvantages of the Internet when I was 15-16 years old. I knew some other teenagers who were addicted to the Internet, fortunately, this was not much critical. The minuses I faced were connected with money: I spent almost every day for having access, and the grades at school – they became reducing. When I noticed these negative effects I started controlling the time and the purpose of using them. Besides, I cannot agree more that social media reduces academic and job performance.
    Social media culture in my country is mostly communication and socialization. I guess, people like in other lands love posting photos, and maybe they can feel connected. Many people try to show themselves through the net because they cannot have this opportunity in real life- this phase is socialization. These users start interacting and sharing with news, or even with their whole life. To some extent, it can become an addiction, however, in my opinion, this kind of addiction is not as harmful as drugs or alcohol.
    The role of social media in government elections in Russia.
    During the big events of any country, people start discussing and posting their opinion in social media. As I live in Russia, I would like to illustrate the election of the President of the Russian Federation on March 4, 2012.
    After the election of deputies of the 6th convocation of the State Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation, the political party United Russia won rallies were held against the cities of the country against the results of the Duma elections. The organization of protest rallies was undertaken by well-known public activists: cultural and public figures, representatives of the non-systemic political opposition. The main demands of the participants in rallies and protests came down to invalidating the election results by the authorities.
    A certain dependence was traced: the closer the date of the election of the President of Russia, the wider and more intense the protest was gaining momentum in the country, supported by social networks on the Internet and several opposition media, culminating in numerous mass protests in central Moscow.
    The country’s media resources, especially traditional media (television, radio, print media), fully served the interests of candidate Vladimir V. Putin. News broadcasts began with coverage of the working day of the Chairman of the Government of Russia V.V. Putin and ended with a block of campaign information about all the candidates for the presidency of Russia, where advertising roles were about candidate V.V. Putin.
    In addition, his high results in the presidential election became possible because, firstly, there was no strong politician in the country who could compete with Putin, and secondly, the political way of influencing people through social media.
    Current social media “Influencers” in my country.
    There are a lot of so-called “Influencers” on the net and one can see most of them on Instagram. There are make-up artists, fashion designers, fitness – instructors, and others. In Turkmenistan, one of my favorite influencers is a Turkmen young lady Aynulya. She has been struggling with an overweight and lost nearly 25 kg. She keeps going to the gym and dieting, I guess, she motivates a lot of people and gains a vast amount of support from them. Another beloved influencer is an English language teacher and entrepreneur Marina Mogilko, who is from Russia and moved to the USA to start her own business with only 300$ and a camera. She not only teaches the language but also shoots the videos about starting a business, online careers and life in the USA. These are examples of positive influencers.
    I have been thinking about the negative sides of the influencers and decided to write about a woman, unfortunately, I cannot recall her name, she is from Russia and has a blogging career with nearly 4 million followers. So she suggested being a freelancer. The job was to buy and sell products online and a network market. Then I read the feedbacks from the freelancers and most of them were negative, people just spent their money and could not recruit it. This method of earning money could work if she had special training courses but people were just lured and that is over. In this example, one can see a psychological pressure on people.
    In conclusion, it is a tough question whether the influencers have a positive or negative effect, in any case, they somehow influence on a person. Therefore, one should find a useful and the right one influencer to make the best of it.
    Is there a lack of positive role models in your community or country? Does social media make it better or worse? What kind of role models would you like to see leading the voice on social media? How can you and your peers make that happen?
    Generally, I think there is a lack of role models in both: Russia and Turkmenistan. Social media can provide some information about the person, but it can be not only true information but also gossips. Some “role models” can hide real information, and after a while, it may somehow be revealed, so here one may notice a positive effect of social media.
    Firstly, role models should not post meaningless and useless videos and information on their social media. Secondly, they should not try to earn money on their followers. It does not mean that there should not be advertisements and similar things, it means the followers must not be lied paying for useless things.
    When I find an interesting influencer I try to share this page with my friends, so they can find something useful. The best way to make people follow one account is to make the advertisements.
    Do social media platforms like Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook lead to narcissism—an effort to get self-attention? Is it leading to the “look at me” syndrome? How is that damaging to the poster and to the reader?
    This is the question I have not been thinking about, however, analyzing some role models’ interview answers it can be agreed that social media platforms lead to narcissism. In my opinion, these people use social media because of the lack of confidence and childhood trauma that still exists to some extent. After a while they put themselves there higher in grandeur: they are bold, extroverted, assertive and self-confident. They believe that they are the best and often try to gain power over others.
    First of all, the influence on poster can differ. On the one hand, with the help of their followers they can understand who are they and what kind of example they may set. On the other hand, their boundless astuteness can attract a wave of indignation and negative comments, what can lead psychological devastation.
    The reader, on the contrary, will not do so much harm to himself. It most likely depends on the nature of the person. If one is susceptible, he will try to become like one or another egocentric blogger. If he or she thinks reasonably and understands that by following such a person one will not get anything useful, then will simply unsubscribe and do the right thing.
    Is it possible for youth to show the self-discipline to limit themselves to 2 hours a day on social media?
    If we look to the word “impossible” differently, we can identify that the word itself says “I am possible”. I always recall this fact when I see the problem which cannot be solved at first sight. To my mind, yes it is possible. I have recently tried it on practice and I stopped using social media for several days. Admittedly, this was a very useful detox because all my home-tasks were done on time and I had more time for walking, cooking healthy food and, generally, for taking care of myself.
    A positive aspect of social media is education and awareness. Please describe a few examples where youth in your community have learned about an issue or subject and reacted appropriately to address a situation because of a social media campaign.
    Recently, in one of the cities of my homeland, a severe hurricane occurred, as a result of which a large number of people died or those who were left without a roof on their head in the literal sense of the expression. Turkmens who live abroad could not help with anything, since transfers of money were stopped due to coronavirus. But then through social networks many learned that donating can be done in favor of those who suffered. This is a great advantage of social media and the Internet. Due to this, enough funds were collected to provide people with at least the first necessary things.
    The Kectil 15 Rules for Social Media Use (feedback)
    I think the rules provided are very useful and correct. If you think about the site of use, you can come to the conclusion that these rules can be used by anyone, of any age and gender. I believe that when using these rules, each user of social networks can make his account better and more informative.

PERSONAL BRANDING
    Think critically about what image you project when people meet you in person. What is your message? How does who you speak, dress, your body language, your hair, all give a subtle message about who you are and what you think is important? Answer in a short paragraph what kind of image you want to present and whether you accomplish that.
    It is always difficult for me to meet new people, because I start to be embarrassed, especially if it is a big company. Sometimes everything goes easy, but for the most part I first have to look at the person, and then get used to communicating with him or her. The first impression is very important to me, because it is the way some people can remember me. In fact, it all depends on the place and the person one meets. If this is a professor at the university, I try to dress appropriately more restrained and formal, for example, a white blouse with dark trousers. I try to keep a serious manner of communication, and follow the diction and correctness of my speech, of course, correctly selected words and their usage.
    If the acquaintance happens in the group of friends or family, then I try to communicate with them in a friendly manner, to joke, but in moderation. The appearance is more casual and comfortable.
    Once I made an appointment to the trip with groupmates whom I had not known and when I had to introduce myself I felt a sense of excitement. Moreover, I blushed and could not relate the two words. After that I try to behave more adequately and calmly.
    Assume you are looking an employer looking to fill an entry level position. What would you look for when interviewing a youth candidate in person? Would the following matter?
    Timeliness is a major indicator of professionalism.
    I guess it is one of the most important aspects of person’s characteristic. As a punctual person, I can make a specific conclusion about them, who do not come on time.
    Did the candidate study and get prepared for the meeting? Did he/she read materials ahead of time to get ready for a meeting or did he/she try to slip by and fake the way through with no preparation?
    Everyone should prepare for an official meeting and preferably do it in advance. If a person wants to achieve something, then he must invest his strength and time to accomplish the goal. If the person shows that he or she was not preparing, but simply says some random speech, then has little credibility to get what he or she wants.
    Did the candidate appear reliable and trustworthy?
    In fact, it is excellent to make a reliable impression, but it is very important not only to seem so, but also to be in reality. If a person simply seems trustworthy, but in reality is completely different, then in the future this may affect a person’s work or career.
    Did the candidate speak with a combination of humility, authority and preparedness?
    These three manners of speech are difficult to practice, but if the candidate still managed to make such an impression, then this person has a great chance of getting this job.
    List other attributes you would look for when you interview the candidate for the job.
    The clarity of answers. The candidate can be highlighted by the clarity of answers to the questions asked. Very often in interviews they ask about the reasons for working in a certain company, about future plans, but a lot of people find it difficult to answer such questions.
    The way one dressed. It is important to look formal and restrained, the hairstyle should also match.
    How to give a good oral presentation?
    A good presentation should provide a new idea. Even if there is an opportunity to use the Internet while searching for information, however, it should interpreted by the understanding of a person.
    A good presentation is simple, well-structured and clear, without long texts. It should be downloaded more pictures that is up to the point. Also, if a person wants to use a video, he or she should check in advance whether it is available for watching.
    Assume again that you are an employer looking to hire a youth for an entry level position. Would you check their social media? What kinds of things on social media would keep you from hiring someone?
    Yes, I would rather do, because sometimes it can be understood from person’s account the way one lives. First, the candidate who posts inappropriate photographs, videos or information will keep me from hiring.
    Second, if there is posted information about drinking or using drugs, because it may have an impact on work in the future.
    The last, but not the least, if the person writes discriminatory posts related to race, gender and religion.

PANEL DISCUSSION
    The discussion was attended by two of my friends and three groupmates from the university. During the discussion, I realized that their opinions on social networks are the same: they all agree with the study by Dr. Primack and colleagues in 2014-2016 at the University of Pittsburgh. Some talked about their dependence on social networks, as well as the impact of overuse of social media. Absolutely everyone had such a turning point when they could refuse some important things, which led, for example, to failure in exams.
    The Kectil 15 Rules of Social Media Use were found tremendously interesting and useful, and most of them are intended to practice these rules properly. One of my groupmates has blog page about women’s health and she wants to share these rules with her followers.

The forum ‘Assignment 2’ is closed to new topics and replies.