Mahrigozel Agamyradova – Turkmenistan

• March 23, 2020 at 9:59 am #2311
    Huong Nguyen
    Keymaster

Leadership is something that cannot be described in a single statement. I have found a lot of information about the great leaders and can surely claim that a leader cannot be born, a leader has to become. Every leader overcomes particular fears, goes through many experiences, can completely change mindset. Below are given comparisons between two completely different leaders, who have accomplished on their own, in spite of everything.
    George Washington’s ten Points of Leadership
    1. Mission. To begin with, the first president of the United States of America George Washington, who is famous as a Founding Father of the U.S., bravely commanded the Continental Army in the Revolutionary War. Particularly, there are a lot of facts from the past about Washington’s commitment to American independence. He had not only a purpose to achieve it, but also frequently referred to independence as “our glorious cause.” Then, Washington walked the talk.
    In contrast to him one can look at Mary Tudor’s mission. Mary I, also known as Bloody Mary, was the queen of England and Ireland. Since she believed in Catholicism, she wanted to restore this faith after becoming the queen. What is more important, she persecuted the Protestants to change their faith, and those who did not obey executed every innocent person.
    2. Passion. Washington had a desperate desire to gain the freedom, and he had his own rules during the foundation and first years of the United States. He took a lot of duties as a commander-in-chief during the American Revolutionary War. In order to accomplish a common goal he created a strategy and trained the army.
    Mary’s passion was to reverse the religious changes of Edward. She had been brought up as a strict Roman Catholic and was horrified by her half-brother’s changes. In addition, she sought to return England to the Catholic Church and stirred rebellions by marrying a Spanish Habsburg prince.
    3. Vision. George Washington worked as a surveyor in his youth, and after that he fought in the French and Indian wars. One can think that without bravery he would not have been able to fight and to lead to the winning in the American Revolution.
    The main method of Bloody Mary persecution of Protestants, that is why she was named as “Bloody”. However, it might be that most of the local people had been Catholic, and there was by no means a lack of enthusiasm for the return of their old and familiar faith.Initially her reign was tolerant. Perhaps she believed that the people were longing so much for the return of her beloved faith that she would have no need to persecute, but time shattered her belief.
    4. Ethics. Washington was aware of his position on the world stage, and deliberately reinforces his actions and decisions with strong ethics and honesty. He understood that any decision he made could influence on countless people and he adhered to high moral standards and expectations. Every person was a great importance for George Washington and determined survival in an uncivilized period.
    Speaking about Mary Tudor, most of the people accepted her changes and supported, however, on the other hand, people who refused to change their religion were burned at the stake for heresy. More than 300 people died. One of them was Archbishop Cranmer who had written the banned English prayer book. The treatment of these heretics, and many were ordinary people, did much to make Mary unpopular.
    5. Compassion. This point of leadership is especially typical for Washington. His greatness and genius were in his character that was shown in relationship with other people. Therefore, it was his moral character that distinguished him from other leaders. Admittedly, there was a large number of deaths during the war, but he had to keep fighting in order to provide freedom for the population.
    And here comes a huge difference between comparative figures: Mary had no compassion for others. Perhaps, the reason was a difficult childhood. She wanted to achieve her purpose, even destroying everything around and killing people. Harsh and severe, she spared nobody; the fates of a lot of people were in her hands.
    6. Equality and Respect. On the one hand, Washington was a slave owner all his life. Actually he thought that slavery was one of the biggest disadvantages in America and criticized this kind of institution: “I never mean (unless some particular circumstance should compel me to it) to possess another slave by purchase: it being among my first wishes to see some plan adopted by the legislature by which slavery in the Country may be abolished by slow, sure, imperceptible degrees.”
    On the other hand, he wanted equal rights for everybody. He was committed to the equality of the whole population, and fulfilled this obligation in important ways. Most famously, after the American Revolution, it was that because of his devotion to the rule of equal citizens, he abandoned the future American throne. According to King George III, this decision made him “the most distinguished of any man living…the greatest character of the age.”
    Mary I was not interested in the opinions of other. Her initial governing council was a mixture of Protestants and Catholics, but as she ruled she became increasingly ardent in her wish to restore English Catholicism.
    Even if she was not supported in marriage with Prince Philip of Spain because of the anxiety of losing her father’s reforms, she did not listen anybody. She moved forward with her plan, persuading Parliament to assent after Charles consented to leave Mary in full control and to keep the throne in English hands if the union produced no heirs.
    7. Good Government/Management. There are some information about the land speculation of Founding Fathers, and in worked out quite well. A more likely conflict of interest stems from the routine slavery of many politicians. In addition, it is a contentious question, because corruption can have both advantages and disadvantages.
    Comparing Mary with George, it is clear that she accomplished her goals in a cruel way, as mentioned before. I think, she did not need to bride anyone, she only had to intimidate or force to do the things she ordered.
    8. Personal Presentation. For a portrait of Washington, who was so frequently painted in military uniform, the depiction in a suit symbolized a switch in his public role from general to President. At his first inauguration in 1789, he had worn a brown suit of broadcloth from Hartford, Connecticut, with eagle-adorned buttons. The attire reflected the complexity of the new idea of an American President. He chose to wear American-made clothing, rather than attire made in Britain. The eagle was a symbol of the new nation.
    The personal presentations of George Washington and Mary Tudor cannot be compared due to the different gender and the period of their rule. Mary wore ornate clothing, particularly during the reign. Her clothes were decorated with jewels and embroidered with gold thread. No rich person of that period felt properly dressed to impress unless he or she was wearing a ruff. Like so many Tudor clothes, it gave a strong signal about the wealth and importance of the person wearing it.
    9. Team building. George Washington’s amazing leadership and teamwork won the American Revolution. Without any one of those incredible individuals, the world as we know it would be incredibly different. He could show his politeness and support his fellows during a rough time.
    Mary was supported by some loyal gentleman. This was hardly enough to count as an army, but she was encouraged by their presence nonetheless. There were a few people who believed in her power. However, Mary not only proclaimed herself queen to her own household, she wrote many letters that she sent to cities, towns, men in public offices, even the late king’s former Council members. In the letters she declared herself to be the one true Queen of England.
    10. Measurable Accomplishments. When the American Revolutionary War broke out, Congress created the Continental Army and George Washington was appointed as its commander-in-chief. Washington took enormous duties during the war. He plotted the overall strategy of the war along with the Congress. He organized and trained the army and maintained their morale. Most importantly his stature as well as his political and personal skill was instrumental to make the Congress, the army, the French and the states work towards a common goal.
    Also, he led U.S. to victory in the decisive land battle in the American Revolutionary War. Washington actively led his men against the main British forces in 1775 – 77 and then again in 1781. Though he lost battles, he never surrendered his army during the war. In 1781, American and French forces, led by George Washington and Comte de Rochambeau respectively, decisively defeated a British army commanded by Lord Cornwallis at the Battle of Yorktown. It was the last major land battle of the American Revolutionary War and forced the British government to negotiate an end to the conflict.
    Washington became the first president of the United States of America. He received 100 percent of the votes and remains the only president of U.S. to be elected unanimously. He was re-elected, again unanimously, in the 1792 election. He refused to run for the third term hence establishing the tradition of a maximum of two terms for a president, which later became law by the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution.
    Mary remained faithful to Roman Catholicism and defiantly celebrated the traditional Mass. She could not see any other ways of achieving it without killing and destroying, while George Washington became the first president of the USA with 100 percent votes, without sacrifices.

Task 2.
    Once, I said I had not had time to live. I had just stepped my 20 and realized that time flies, and I started thinking about what I had done. I counted my several qualities, one of them helping people without waiting for returns. Then I recalled to my memory the times I had been volunteering in the orphanage, and it was rewarding. I did help my family and friends during the rough times, therefore they were thankful. I made them proud of me entering one of the top universities of the Russian Federation. Then it is over. Studying, routine and other small affairs stopped me to accomplish new goals. Of course, I kept being helpful and kind, continued volunteering, but I needed something more, something, that will not only be useful for my surroundings but also others. I was thinking about it for a long period of time, and then I understood, that there a few people from my country who know about scholarship opportunities abroad, and especially in my university, though there are a lot of talented students. To solve this problem we started creating a new project in a group of three, all young women. This project consisted of information about funded positions in the Universities abroad. We worked hard searching for them and downloading on the net, also, we made a lot of advertisements. It went well. Then the letters with gratitude flooded in our mail; that was a great goal. In less than a year, there were a lot of followers, we tried to motivate them and gave an enormous amount of hints of studying for free. As my major was Theory and Methods of Teaching, I used my skills after graduation. There were a lot of courses that prepare students for exams but none of them prepared for entering the University. We intended to create face-to-face preparing courses for free. Although we did not have enough funding, our budget from advertisements on the net was enough to rent a small classroom in one of the commercial institutions. In the first lessons there were several students then the amount grew. More and more students participated in our courses and some of them wished to volunteer with us. We have developed a training technique and scheduled paid courses. With great efforts, we created a network for preparing graduates for university entrance. Further, new methods appeared in our courses that allowed many students to choose the right profession. After many years, we saw happy and grateful faces; it made me understand that all this was done not in vain. I am glad to be in their memories as a determined tutor.

A Peer Panel for discussion.
    In discussion of Ten Points of Leadership took part 5 young ladies (Ann is 20, Victoria is 19, Tatyana is 19, Jenn is 23 and Selbi is 21 years old). Each of the points has been discussed but there are eye-catching ones that had touched every participant in their life. To begin with Mission, all of them think that this is the most significant point. It is very important to have the right mission and think it over before setting the goal. A person should surely know what he/she wants and where it goes. Passion appears to be a mover for accomplishing your goal. There must be something that will push any time you give up, it does not matter whether they are domestic cases or global problems. Ann shared with her hints: every time she tries to give up, she says that there is no other chance. If you ask me, I would say, all I do is for my family. I am eager to provide them brightened future because they did all their best to give me a wonderful childhood. Girls think that Vision is the most difficult part of the way to a mission. One should think about every detail and consequences of the action he/she is going to step. A person can easily achieve a goal, but it is hard to achieve legally, without sacrificing and destroying. The same connected with Ethics. Yes, on the one hand, nothing ventured, nothing gained, but on the other hand, one should venture as minor as possible not to lose everything. View differed when it came to Compassion. Jenn and Selbi declared that a leader should be strict in some way not to loosen up. Moreover, it is useful not to show your compassion to the rivals, nevertheless, they will lose respect towards the leader. However, others indicated otherwise. Compassion can be shown to motivate to be calmer and kinder. Another significant point is Team Building. One’s team can be ears and eyes far away and advisor nearby. A person can mistakenly choose a traitor and rely on him, therefore, all the plans may be failed. In conclusion, with Equality and Respect towards others, a leader will be respected either. If one is respected, then Personal Presentation does not play that important role. You can be dressed in dire poverty, still not respected and instead, highly respected but dressed simply.

The forum ‘Assignment 1’ is closed to new topics and replies.