Moyin Oluwa Oladoye – Nigeria

• March 23, 2020 at 10:24 am #2317
    Huong Nguyen
    Keymaster

I. THE KECTIL TEN POINTS OF LEADERSHIP

MISSION
    The mission statement gives a detailed action plan than the vision statement. The mission statement leads to strategic goals. Mission gives purpose to one’s goals, and where and how it will compete, the mission allows leaders to define a coherent set of goals that fit together to support the set vision.
    POSITIVE EXAMPLE: Jesus Christ’s mission was to give life to the world and give it more abundantly. This He did all of His lifetime.
    NEGATIVE EXAMPLE: Osama Bin Laden was the founder and first leader of the jihadist terrorist group, Al-Qaeda with the mission to promote Islamic laws.

PASSION
    Passion is any great, strong, powerful emotion, especially love or hate. It is the drive or motivation that makes it possible for a leader to carry out responsibilities despite oppositions or discouragements.
    POSITIVE EXAMPLE: Dora Akunyuli was a former Director-General of National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) who fought drug counterfeiters as a result of the loss of her sister sequel to taking fake insulin injection.
    NEGATIVE EXAMPLE: Adolf Hitler, the leader of Nazi Party was passionate about expanding German territory at all cost.

VISION
    A vision statement is a statement of one’s aspirations of what one hopes to achieve or to become. The vision statement does not provide specific targets. Instead, the vision is a broad description of the value provided. It is a visual image of what a leader is trying to produce or become. It should inspire people and motivate them to want to be part of and contribute to an organization. Vision should be clear and concise, usually not longer than a short paragraph. While vision statement describes where a leader wants to be in the future; mission statement describes what the leader needs to do now to achieve that vision.
    POSITIVE EXAMPLE: Jesus Christ’s vision was for the earth to be covered with the knowledge of the glory of God just as the waters cover the sea.
    NEGATIVE EXAMPLE: Osama Bin Laden envisioned the failure of America in Iraq just as the Soviet Union did in Afghanistan.

ETHICS
    Ethics is the standards that govern the conduct of a leader, especially a member of an organization. They are set of core values that govern a leader to be acceptable before his followers.
    POSITIVE EXAMPLE: M. Gandhi’s main principles were the belief in truth, non-violence and individual as well as political self-policing.
    NEGATIVE EXAMPLE: Erwin Ding-Schuler, a German surgeon and officer in the Waffen-SS was notable for performing experiments on the inmates of the Buchenwald concentration camp which is against the ethics of the medical profession. (Wikipedia)

COMPASSION
    Compassion is deep awareness of the suffering of another, coupled with the wish to relieve it. It is synonymous with empathy but different from pity. Compassion is the ability to understand and share the feelings of another person. A good leader should strive to understand and empathize with others, recognizing the fundamental human need to be accepted, loved and cared for. This is a trait every leader ought to manifest every time he is privileged to lead a group of people. It involves encouraging the people around you to offer their opinions, ideas and insights. A leader should be a good listener and that people may share with him without fear of judgment or mocking.
    POSITIVE EXAMPLE: Engr. Seyi Makinde, the governor of Oyo State, Nigeria made education accessible for all children in the state; this made it possible for many indigent people to give their wards quality education.
    NEGATIVE EXAMPLE: Adolf Hitler was sometime associated with PSYCHOPATHY, a severe behavioural disorder whose main symptom is seen as total lack of compassion.

EQUALITY AND RESPECT
    Equity means justice, impartiality or fairness while Respect is an attitude of consideration or high regard. It is well said that a great leader takes more of the blame and less of the credits.
    POSITIVE EXAMPLE: Nelson Mandela was the first black South African President, who spent a large part of his life fighting for equality for blacks of his country.
    NEGATIVE EXAMPLE: Idi Amin was the President of Uganda from 1971 to 1979. He was popularly known as the “Butcher of Uganda” and considered as one of the cruelest leaders in world history. (Wikipedia)

GOOD GOVERNMENT/MANAGEMENT
    Good governance/management means that the processes implemented by the organization to produce favorable results meet the needs of its stakeholders, while making the best use of resources – human, technological, financial, natural and environmental – at its disposal. Accountability is a key tenet of good governance and should be demonstrated by every leader. What a leader needs to concentrate on is the real job of management- the strategy. It also involves being accountable as a leader.
    POSITIVE EXAMPLE: Roosevelt incorporated four freedoms as part of his leadership goals. This was how he promoted democracy and good governance in the US.
    NEGATIVE EXAMPLE: Sani Abacha was a Nigerian general and dictator who served as de facto President of Nigeria from 1993 until 1998. (Wikipedia)

PERSONAL PRESENTATION
    Personal presentation is just as important as a skill or qualification and every great leader must understand and be fully aware of the effect of their personal appearance because your appearance symbolizes what you are and it is an instant communication of “first impression” to other people. Looks certainly do matter and if you look good you feel good, you will boost your self-esteem and self confidence; good presentation enhances personality.
    POSITIVE EXAMPLE: Mark Zuckerberg was famous for his gray Brunello Cucinelli t-shirt. Steve Jobs became known for a black turtleneck, jeans, and sneakers.
    NEGATIVE EXAMPLE:

TEAM BUILDING
    Team building refers to the various activities undertaken by a leader to motivate the team members and increase the overall performance of the team. A leader should not expect his team to perform on its own. A driving factor is a must. Team building activities consist of various tasks undertaken to groom team member, motivate them and make them perform their best. It entails making effective decisions as a leader, working in teams and understanding each person’s strengths and weaknesses.
    POSITIVE EXAMPLE: Nelson Mandela was able to build a team of non-violent activism against the oppressive Afrikaner white minority.
    NEGATIVE EXAMPLE: Sani Abacha, a former Nigerian president was a hard-core dictator and refused to hand over to the civilian government despite the fairness of the election conducted.

MEASURABLE ACCOMPLISHMENTS
    Impact is many times estimated by accomplishments. These accomplishments should be quantifiable and measurable. The measurable accomplishment should describe the challenge, the action and the result.

POSITIVE EXAMPLE: Mary Slessor, a Scottish missionary to Nigeria helped to abolish the killing of twins.
    NEGATIVE EXAMPLE: Hitler initiated World War 2.

II. MY FUNERAL SPEECH

Death has always been the single best invention of Life and the common equalizer of men. I am glad that I fought the good fight of faith, I finished my race, I kept the faith. Life is not in its length, it can be short yet full of impact. On the contrary, it can be long without impact. I choose not to be remembered for my Nobel Peace Prize—as important as it seems. I choose not to be remembered for the over 500 other awards and honors neither do I want to be remembered for the degrees acquired. I rather choose to be remembered for the lives I impacted anonymously. My greatest prayer to God while on earth is for me never to know the extent of lives I have impacted.
    I do not want the most entertaining funeral. I want you to be able to say that day that I visited the people in marginalized areas with love. I want you to be able to say that day that I spent time formulating plans and policies that drastically improved the health care system of Africans. I want you to be able to say that day that I stood for righteousness against all odds. Only then can all of the other things stated earlier matter, that is, the achievements and the awards.

In all these do I find the satisfaction that I have truly lived a fruitful life. Verily I say unto you, make your life count too!

The forum ‘Assignment 1’ is closed to new topics and replies.