Ojeh Ukamaka Mariagoretti – Nigeria

• May 14, 2020 at 1:09 pm #2626
    Huong Nguyen
    Keymaster

NAME: OJEH UKAMAKA MARIAGORETTI
    ASSIGNMENT 2: SOCIAL MEDIA AND PERSONAL BRANDING
    A) INFLUENCE OF SOCIAL MEDIA ON YOUTH

✓Question: Negative personal effects of social media on youth in my community and Country
    I will define social media as a platform for reaching out to a larger audience in a short while through WhatsApp, Twitter, Instagram, tik tok, Facebook etc, purposely for spreading information and it’s likes. Social media has caused more harm than good in so many ways especially through spreading of fake news, cyberbullying, Can caused depression etc. News are being spread on social media without proper verification of the authenticity of the news leading to the audience to believe in the fake news. Cyberbullying is spreading fake news about any individual mostly by bloggers just to attract comments and likes on their post, without minding the harm they have caused to the person being cyberbullyed. They do that to politicians, celebrities and popular individual that matters in the society. E.g a blogger by name Linda ikeja had once carried a rumour about the health issues of a well known Nigeria singer Tu Face idbia. Tu Face sued her to Court, she paid for the demages and was warned to stay clear from someone’s personal life. Youths social media culture is nothing to write home about, 60% of them will prefer to starve to death and use their last money to buy data just to always be online tweeting, posting on Instagram, Facebook, Tik tok etc. They always want to be the first to post news and spread information without verifications of the authenticity of the news.
    They can change these culture by having a time table when and how long to spend on social media. Before spreading any news we should first of all verify the news, because fake news is more deadly and poisonous than a deadly snake.

✓ Question: In your opinion, is excessive use of social media by youth an addiction? Are they damaging effects as bad as drinking or drugs?
    Answer: Excessive use of Social media is an Addiction and more damaging effects as bad as drinking or drugs. An Addiction is defined as a habit or practice that damages, jeopardizes or shortens one’s life but when ceased causes trauma. Majority of the youths can not do without social media, not necessarily they want to gain something meaningful, but they just want to see what others post, what they are doing, where they are going, who they are with, what clothes they are putting on and the latest news in town and so on.
    Whenever they are offline for a second, they become depressed. They can not do without it.
    ✓ Question: It is said that use of social media reduces job and academic performance either by wasting time or by consistent mental distractions. Do you think this is true or false and why?
    Answer: it is True
    Excessive use of social media reduces job and academic performances by investing the time and energy that one suppose to invest in reading, thinking and preparing for Examinations, job interview or working in an office on social media. Most people can never leave their phones even in a very important office meeting and this brings mental distraction because they tend to loose Focus and concentration.
    ✓ Question: Has social media played a role in government elections or politics in your community or country.
    Answer: Social media has played a major role in Government elections countless times. Most politicians will bribe bloggers to spread fake news about a candidate just to spoil people’s mind towards their opponent by this the whole votes goes to them and painting his or her opponent black. Social media has been used to call out bad government officials out and bring them to justice. Election period is the time for spreading fake news about politicians in the quest to win elections and buy minds of the people, public opinion are being manipulated.
    Social media also helps in exposing crimes committed during election by rigging of election, manipulating voters by giving them money, carrying of ballot boxes and so on.
    ✓Question: social media “Influencers” are they having a positive or a negative effect on youth in your country? Are they “Influencing” the right subjects and actions? Please be specific and provide names.
    Answer: Social media influencers are individual who has access to a larger audience and can persuade others by virtue of their authenticity and reach to sell their products and for them to buy the product.
    Social media influencers are having both positive and negative effects on youths in my community, most youths see them as a Demi-God and a role model anything they say stands, whom they said died dies etc.
    For Example a Twitter user by name Yemi flash is a well known social media influence from Ondo state who calls out the government at the peak of the Pandemic ( coronavirus) The Govoner of Ondo state wants to lift borders for churches to open in Ondo state, he was called out on Twitter by Yemi flash using the hashtag #Lockondonow. The hashtag trended which draws the attention of the state Govoner, the ban was not lifted again.
    As much as they are influencing youths positively,they are also influencing them Negativity too in all aspects. A popular Twitter user and an investigative journalist by name Doc Kemi known as #Kemitalks always spread news that most times leads to a fight between different ethnic groups in Nigeria under her post on Twitter. She is being known as the Author of Fake news by some and the carrier of Breaking news by others. Most of her stories most times turns out to be true, but she has a way of twisting the headlines and breaking news to look so serious and harsh, but when you read the main story it is not that serious. I will say she influencers the youths Negativity.
    ✓Question: Is there a lack of positive role models in your community or country? Does social media make it better or worse? What kind of role models would you like to see leading the voice on social media? How can you and your peers make that happen?
    Answer: There are lack of Positive role models in my community and social media tends to make it worse. Most of them do not post on social media again, because bloggers has a way of twisting their news to suit them.
    I would love to see a role model who called a spade a spade and stand by their words. They should stand by the Truth and not necessarily trying to side anyone or people. Tell the youths the Truth and stop living fake lives and spreading fake news because they want to get likes and comments. E.g Remo Omokri, he is a Twitter user who do not paint words in exposing the bad and corrupt Government, he posts and reply when necessary. He is a positive role model on social media
    ✓ Question: Do social media platforms like Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook lead to narcissism—an effort to get self-attention? Is it leading to the “look at me” syndrome? How is that damaging to the poster and to the reader?
    Answer: Instagram is the main platform that leads to Narcissism to it’s core. Youths mostly go on Instagram to post pictures and it’s likes, which leads to “look at me” Syndrome. Majority of the youths in particular live a social media life, what they eat, wear, stay, who they go out with are all on social media. They can not do without posting pictures on social media and this makes their life a public one. When you life is public, you have no secret to hide even your most ugliest secret will be revealed one day by people on social media especially Instagram and Facebook. Instablog is known for exposing those news and making mockery of the individual involved.
    The poster will get to sell his/her products which is the news and the reader inreturn will spread the news, the person being talked about will be insulted and mouth Abused. Most of them posted about will sometimes loose their jobs, endorsement etc because they will not want an individual who has dirty hands to be “face of his/her company”.
    ✓Question: Is it possible for youth to show the self-discipline to limit themselves to 2 hours a day on social media?
    Answer: Nothing is impossible, hard work and persistence makes it possible. Yes youths can self-discipline themselves to 2 hours a day on social media if only they wants and wish to.
    A great man once said ” Be the change you want to see in others” it’s starts from me, it’s starts from you. I have disciplined myself in spending 2 hours on social media everyday no matter what happens I will not exceed the hours, it is very hard to implement at the initial stage but with time it becomes part of me. I do not press phones while in an important meetings, I rather read motivational books than spending my time on social media etc. It works out fine for me, have involved some of my peers in joining me in doing so and gradually we are growing. Telling people about how they spend their most valuable times on social media doing something that do not worths it.
    ✓ Questions: A positive aspect of social media is education and awareness. Please describe a few examples where youth in your community have learned about an issue or subject and reacted appropriately to address a situation because of a social media campaign.
    Answer: Social media has helped in reaching to a larger audience in a short period of time and addressing issues appropriately. For Example the whole world is experiencing a pandemic outbreak called Coronavirus. It has affected the world in all areas, none is safe and the pandemic outbreak is very deadly and dangerous. To help Reduce the spread, people are advised to practice personal hygiene and social distancing. How do we reach a larger audience faster? Through social media, educating and creating awareness on how to wash their hands with soap and running, To observe social distancing at least 6 ft to the other person and to avoid overcrowded areas. This has been achieved by Educating youths in a 45minutes online training on thibgs they need to know about this virus and how it’s being spread. At the end of the training you are awarded a certificate as a Community immunity Ambassador, you are challenged to invite 10 of your friends to do so. But so doing Education and awareness is being created.
    B) PERSONAL BRANDING
    ✓ Question: Answer in a short paragraph what kind of image you want to present and whether you accomplish that.
    Answer: in my dressing, speaking and my body language I try to present myself as a person with integrity and respect, one who knows what she wants and bend in achieving success at all cost. I want to build a brand whenever I speak I will not only be talking but I will be communicating.
    Am yet to achieve that, watching this webinar I have learnt a lot from it and will try so hard to reach that peak, build my personal brand and be myself.
    ✓Question: What would you look for when interviewing a youth candidate in person?
    Answer: Time management, Mastery of the subject matter, Dress code , comportment,
    He should speak with a combination of Humility, Authority and Preparedness, how bold and fluent He/she answers Questions, Body language, His/her first impression matters alot and finally the new idea he/she will bring in the Organization and how they are able to convince me that they can achieve that.
    ✓ Question: After watching Nozipho’s Web Session, write a short paragraph about how to give a good oral presentation on an important topic with a powerpoint slide deck.
    Answer: Topic: Personal hygiene on how to avoid the spread of coronavirus ( CoviD 19)
    Ist: Always wash your hand very well with soap and running water every 20 minutes, always carry your sanitizer and wear your face mask Everytime you want to go out.
    2nd: Maintain Social Distancing when in a public places and avoid crowded areas
    3rd: when sneezing cover your mouth with your elbow and not Your hands
    4th: Try as much as possible to avoid touching your face with your hands
    5th: Stay at home when feeling sick and call any of the NCDC hotlines.
    Finally: Stay at home and stay safe.
    ✓ Question: Assume that you are an employer looking to hire a youth for an entry level position. Would you check their social media? What kinds of things on social media would keep you from hiring someone?
    Answer: Yes I will check their Social media posts and comments. Your account on social media most times describes who you are and what your are capable of doing. The way you response to people on your social media accounts tell who your are and if you live a social media life or not. How you can keep secrets, how you are able to create Awareness on social media etc
    C. PANEL DISCUSSION
    According to Dr. Primack and colleagues in 2014-2016 at the University of Pittsburgh where they measure the significant, linear relationship between social media use and depression, measured either as total time or frequency of visits in his write up on the Negative Vs. Positive Social media experiences and Depressive Symptoms. The study describe how Negative Social media experiences is linked to Depressive symptoms through addiction.
    My panelists agreed that excessive use of social media can cause depression. Comparison in wealth, life style, Academic, Relationships, marriage etc inavalibility of limited resources on people after admiring celebrities life styles and social media influencers makes us feel depressed. People tend to feel depressed when they equate their current situation to their social media role model, start comparing when they can not reach to that standard they feel depressed.
    Feeling of unloved, dejected , moody when your friends are online and non are communicating with you. I call it communication dead on social media could lead to depression.
    ✓ from our discussion on cyberbullying and herd behavior, we deducted that according to Kids health.org cyberbullying is defined as use of technology to harass, threaten, embarrass, or target another person. Online threats and mean, aggressive, or rude texts, tweets, posts, or messages all count. So does posting personal information, pictures, or videos designed to hurt or embarrass someone else. While Herd behavior is forcing someone to believe in your opinion, believing in whatever a social media influencers says not considering the fact that everybody has their own opinion. People do not think alike, we act and think differently. Herd behavior has lead us to go down to wrong ideology to so many things, main source of the rapid spread of fake news and has caused more harm to Society, Community and the country at large. Cyberbullying and herd behavior has caused more harm than good in my community.
    ✓ My panalist believed that their are relationships between the amount of use of social media and lack of productivity, mental distraction and inability to get a job done are all connected together.
    2) comments on the Kectile 15 social media rules are as follows; The rules are recommendable, will increase productivity of youths when being followed. We gave the rule a 5 Star because of it’s positive impact and how it will help teach youths social media discipline on how to use social media to their advantage.
    Among all the rules, we disagree with rule No 3. Which says “Limit your time on social media to no more than 2 hours a day and be strict about it”. Social media managers and online marketers can not limit their social media use to not more than 2 hours, because that is their market where they display and market their products, they will loose their customers and clients.
    Yes we can comply with the rules and are willing to distribute them to others.

The forum ‘Assignment 2’ is closed to new topics and replies.