Sony Joy – India

• May 18, 2020 at 3:08 pm #2628
    Huong Nguyen
    Keymaster

SOCIAL MEDIA AND PERSONAL BRANDING

A.INFLUENCE OF SOCIAL MEDIA ON YOUTH

1.Negative personal effects of social media on youth

Technology advancements have made a boom in overall development in human lives; and today, computers, and mobile devices have become a necessary part of the smooth going of daily life. Social media makes the world go around and gives a platform for interaction between people across the globe. Like two sides of a coin, it has got good and adverse effects on human thoughts and actions. If these effects are not monitored or restricted, it can have some very severe effects on their overall well-being.
    In my community, I came to know individuals faced cyberbullying,depression, and even suicidal tendencies due to over usage of social media such as Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp. One of my friends has gone under severe depression because of extreme harassment based on comments for her Facebook profile pictures. As she got bodyweight inappropriate to her age people started commenting on her appearance whenever she posted her picture. The result was shocking. She started allowing herself to go for severe diets and heavy exercises. She became weak and insomniac. Her parents became so tense about her situation once she started failing exams. Then they took her to a counseling psychiatrist. It took almost a year to regain her normal life. I spoke to her and found that her main problem was lack of self-love and self-esteem, as she started comparing her body with others upon feeling shame after viewing comments. Later she realized that it was unnecessary.
    The growth of social media has resulted in an important change in Indian students’ and teenager’s behavior. It gives accessibility to anything at any time. Social networking has resulted in a lot of positive changes in social service sectors. But at the same time, Indian youth are facing facebook depression, sleep deprivation, anxiety, social isolation, poor concentration, etc. It could extinct the future of Indian teenagers and children and it had a very bad effect on education as it is argued above.

2. Is excessive use of social media by youth an addiction? Are the damaging effects as bad as drinking or drugs?
    Internet addiction is quite common among youngsters. Like food and amenities needed for survival, social media presence has become a necessity in present-day society. People started watching through social media and criticizing through a third person’s eye. That makes them less confident but sadly can’t get over it. Though people sit for other activities, mobile phones or laptops are with them and notifications trigger them to check for updates even though there is none to talk with. How many times do we check our mobile phones for no reason? It seems youth who make use of opportunities via these platforms are more self-controlled and the ordinary ones will slowly fall into the addiction that steals their quality time. The adverse effects of uncontrolled social media usages include social isolation, depression, etc. How can you check whether you are an addict or not? It’s a question to yourself. How do you feel when you don’t take a look at the phone? If you feel numb, lazy, restless, or sad make yourself know that you are an addict of social media. As it grabs the productivity of youngsters it has negative impacts on a nation’s development. As the controlled usage of drugs helps in curing diseases, social media usage does the same. It helps in networking, extracting knowledge from global resources, marketing, branding, etc.

3. It is said that the use of social media reduces job and academic performance either by wasting time or by consistent mental distractions. Do you think this is true or false and why?
    It is scientifically proven that multitasking reduces the mental ability and brain functioning. The average time range of human concentration is 10 to 20 minutes. If the person goes to take part in social media activities, it significantly increases the time taken to complete tasks. Today negative effects of social media on students can be seen easily. The habit of simultaneous usage of social media results in a constant interruption, which harms attention and reduces learning and performance. Spending hours and hours in front of computers and phones leads to decreased activities and reduces the secretion of endorphins, and it is causing depression a common problem.

4. Whether social media played a role in government elections or politics in your community or country? Have you experienced “Fake News” in your country? Have you observed the attempted manipulation of public opinion using social media as a platform? Has any social media networking been shut down or censored?
    Social media have influenced many aspects of politics. Social media have been able to make a profound impact through news, interaction, learning, and marketing. Being an important source of news, they have a vital role in influencing people to follow political parties and even changing their right views to the wrong one and vice versa. Various news channels tweet or give updates on Facebook, Google, Instagram, WhatsApp, etc, allows people to keep in touch more regularly. People in different cities, countries, and continents can keep in touch effortlessly and it creates an opportunity to experience different cultures and exchange opinions. Being a highly populated nation, PM Narendra Modi’s vision to make a Digital India is becoming effective at a slow pace. Because it’s difficult to reach the villages and make them aware of the possibilities and usage. Social media has played a key role in election results in India. Because at that period the media will be flooded with fake and true news and people will get confused. Certain parties make use of the inability of people to distinguish fake and real. As Android phones are available even to the poorest citizens except for a few percentages, social media has led to the emergence of citizen-led governance (C–governance) in India. One of the notable movements that happened in India was the Anti Corruption movement, initiated by Anna Hazare, which got momentum in 2011. This incident has caught the attention of citizens through effective channelization through different social media platforms. He wanted the government to pass the Lokpal bill in the Indian parliament. He started a hunger strike when the demand was rejected by the Indian government. His hunger strike for a noble cause got attention from various political parties as well as the media. Online Signature Campaigns like Avaaz to support Anna Hazare, got more than 10 lakh signatures in just 36 hours. People from India and abroad started reacting and commenting on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, etc and the government made a reexamination on the Lokpal bill.
    India has witnessed too many fake news that could make many worst scenarios in political as well as public sectors. In 2019 August Indian government made a historical decision by revoking the special status and autonomous power for Jammu and Kashmir. The state was disconnected as there was no internet and during this time so many fake news was spread and allegations raised against the government as well as the army. The images of Syrian and Iraqi civil wars were shared in WhatsApp, Facebook, and twitter to misguide the people of the nation and divert them from understanding the actual sense of the amendment. Currently, the world is fighting against COVID-19 and so many fake home remedies and medications. On 7th March 2020, PM Narendra Modi addressed the public and requested not to believe or follow such unverified medications.
    In India, on 2019 March 26, a new channel called Namo TV was launched by TATA SKY and D2H and it was carrying the logo of OM Narendra Modi. As it was the violation of the Model Code of Conduct by electoral commission opposition parties and so many groups protested against this. The Electoral Commission issued a notice to the Internet and Broadcasting secretary to submit a report regarding the new channel. The channel was broadcasting speeches and campaigns of BJP candidates and urged people to watch it. But the channel providers tweeted that Namo is just a Hindi news channel that boosts national politics. Though it was evident and EC complained about the channel it was broadcasting till election dates. Just before the start of the Lok Sabha polls, the controversial NaMo TV has disappeared from India’s airwaves. Even after EC recommended taking off Namo TV, a documentary that spreads fake statistics of houses built during the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government was compared with the number of houses built by the BJP government. In the documentary the anchor was pressing the point that UPA had constructed just 25 lakh houses during the final four years of their tenure till 2013-14, and the Modi government had made 1.25 crore homes in its first four years starting 2014. This documentary was supported by the testimonies of many rural people in northern India. As they were mocked by the politicians they never questioned and simply recited what they were asked to. In effect, the whole nation came to an opinion manipulated by the media, that BJP has changed India as none did in the past. Still, the reality is suppressed.
    On 11th December 2019, the Citizenship Amendment Act was passed by the Indian parliament to restrict the entry of illegal migrants before 2014. This law was protecting immigrants belonging to Hindu, Jain, Sikh, Parsi, and Christian. As the act excluded Muslims it led to a communal riot in various parts of India. In Jamia milia university students conducted campaigns against the act and law and order was taken into arms. “Channel’s reporting on Delhi violence seems to be biased as it is deliberately focusing on the vandalism of CAA supporters,” the ministry order on Media One had said. “It also questions RSS and alleges Delhi Police inaction. Channel seems to be critical towards Delhi Police and RSS.” The ban was removed after 48 hours.[3]

5.Whether current social media “Influencers” are having a positive or a negative effect on youth in your country? Are they “Influencing” the right subjects and actions? Please be specific and provide names.
    In India, we have thousands of influencers in both negative and positive aspects. In a positive aspect, I would like to refer to Mr. Sashank Mani and Mr. Asutosh who are the founders of Jagritiyatra, the world’s largest entrepreneurial train journey. Every year they select a team of 500 youth over India and conduct a train journey through 15 states of India. Through the day’s youth will get inspiration to find their passion and team to execute their ideas. These two great people are very active on social media for spreading awareness about the relevance of enterprises in a country where unemployment is a pressing issue. They have delivered TEDx notes and several campaigns for the publicity of small scale enterprises. This venture has motivated much youth since 2007 by creating 8000 jobs and 600+ enterprises.
    India is rich in diversity of religion, I have found many negative influencers who try to convince them they belong to the best religion. Hence they must ignore other religious followers. One is Mr. Rahul Eswar, who used to appear in almost all channel debates and news hours whenever there is religious sensational news. His arguments can provoke innocent Hindu believers and they start feeling hatred towards other castes, religions, and customs. This is totally against the unity and integrity of a nation. They will make people think of religion as a political party itself.

6. Is there a lack of positive role models in your community or country? Does social media make it better or worse? What kind of role models would you like to see leading the voice on social media? How can you and your peers make that happen?
    There is no lack of positive role models in India. I love listening to the voices of youngsters who changed themselves and showcased their lives in a way that is fruitful for them and their community as well. I would love people who have succeeded with the least favorable conditions and the youth who found chances where the majority found zero. For Eg. Mr. Jabir Karat, CEO of Green Worms, south India’s leading solid waste management firm. His story is amazing. In our country, I can find a lot of positive role models who speak and perform through social media. But there are even worse politicians who even don’t know the purpose, but deliver blunders in press meets and all. We can make awareness about pressing issues through social media. For example, during this pandemic season, we have created an online group that handles the delivery of basic goods to local people.
    7. Do social media platforms like Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook lead to narcissism—an effort to get self-attention? Is it leading to the “look at me” syndrome? How is that damaging to the poster and the reader?

A personal choice can make a positive or negative vibe. So I believe that it is totally up to the person if they want to make personal attention, spread positivity, motivate, or share knowledge. In my opinion, Facebook,Instagram, and Snapchat are having the same intentions and people use it accordingly with their ease of use. Most of the people post their almost all life events(sometimes fully fake) to pretend they are living a better life and people must appreciate it. In my opinion, it’s not a good choice to spend much time to edit and post ‘look at me’ type photos and merely getting tensed upon not earning likes. Many people will be viewing the newsfeed and when it is utter pompous posts, nothing good to extract from it other than putting aside and getting depressed for having a normal life(in our thoughts).

8. Is it possible for youth to show the self-discipline to limit themselves to 2 hours a day on social media?
    Yes. I believe that ‘If there is a will, there’s a way’. The main reason why young people spend too much time on social media is that their life goals are not clear for them. So if we train and guide them in their path to achieve goals it is possible to limit the use of online chat apps, games, etc.

9. Describe a few examples where youth in your community have learned about an issue or subject and reacted appropriately to address a situation because of a social media campaign
    In our village, a road was constructed without proper drainage facilities. Youth in our locality noticed the issue and we gave a written petition. But it was not addressed by the authorities. Then we made a live campaign involving the local community and public supporters. The campaign videos and online protests on FB and WhatsApp were not ignorable for authorities. They stopped the construction and within the next 3 months came up with an alternative plan. Similarly, one brilliant student got admission for MBBS and she was not financially stable to support herself. So we started a fundraising campaign and collected money for admission.
    B.PERSONAL BRANDING

1. Think critically about what image you project when people meet you in person. What is your message? How does who you speak, dress, your body language, your hair, all give a subtle message about who you are and what you think is important? Answer in a short paragraph what kind of image you want to present and whether you accomplish that.
    ‘Live into the moment. Excel in whatever you do’. This is the message I want to deliver to the people whom I meet and I have tried out my best to convey the same. I give more importance to the way I communicate, including speech, gestures, and body language. I try not to be arrogant and to be polite and gentle. I care for my appearance to be simple and comfortable. I love wearing plane color body fit Kurtis and hair will be combed and clipped. Because I don’t want myself distracted to take care of hair strands falling on my face. I love looking into the eyes of people as it conveys a lot in mind.
    a. Assume you are looking for an employer looking to fill an entry-level position. What would you look for when interviewing a youth candidate in person?
    I will give importance to punctuality, clarity in answers, eye contacts, body language, communication skills, critical analytical skills, practical approaches, and problem-solving skills. I will give moderate concern for dressing and accessories as I consider it as their freedom as long as it doesn’t affect the code of conduct of my company. As it is an entry-level position I want to make sure that the candidate has the urge to learn and have patience.
    b. After watching Nozipho’s Web Session, write a short paragraph about how to give a good oral presentation on an important topic with a PowerPoint slide deck.
    Never recite or byheart the PowerPoint content. Make sure ppt is visible and you are audible to the audience. Make sure ppt have ‘to the point’ bullets. Highlight important information. Be louder when you want to press attention to a point. Try not to hide ppt.
    ● We must plan carefully.
    ● Research within the subject. Deviations are good if it’s necessary
    ● Have an idea about the audience choice
    ● Time is limited and wraps up the necessary points within the time limit
    ● Make the points clear in a simple way
    ● Points noted in ppt must be perfect in grammar and spellings.
    ● Provide necessary resources for further reading
    ● Do not read the presentation. Practice the presentation so you can speak from bullet points.
    ● Give a brief overview at the start. Then present the information. Finally, review the important points.
    ● Avoid hectic ppts flooded with bullets. At a time talk about a point
    ● Use a wireless mouse or pick up the wired mouse so you can move around as you speak.
    ● If sound effects are used, wait until the sound has finished to speak.
    ● If the content is complex, print the slides so the audience can take notes.
    ● Do not turn your back on the audience. Try to position the monitor so you can speak from it.

c. Assume again that you are an employer looking to hire youth for an entry-level position. Would you check their social media? What kinds of things on social media would keep you from hiring someone?
    ● The category posts shared
    ● Quality of content wrote
    ● Type of photos posted on social media
    ● Comments posted for public posts
    ● Political posts content and opinions
    ● Awareness of social matters
    ● The time interval between posts
    ● Personal promotion and marketing strategies

C. PANEL DISCUSSION
    I have made an online discussion with 6 youth.4 of them agreed that over the use of social media causes depression and they think the reasons are lack of proper sleep, unhealthy food habits, lack of concentration. Two people said people can listen to motivational videos, watch series, and learn new techniques to get engaged with so that they won’t fall into depression. All of them agreed cyberbullying is an issue with this. People become arrogant and keep grudges for commenting against them. Three panelists have the opinion that unemployment will be accelerated due to inactivity caused by internet addiction. The other three said that social media provides the opportunity to grab jobs and earn skills for employment. The collective opinion was a positive one. As everyone said that ‘Use it wisely. It’s up to the person’.We can help people to find new ways and possibilities using the platforms that social media provides.

References
    1.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizenship_(Amendment)_Act,_2019
    2.https://www.epw.in/engage/article/how-did-social-media-impact-india-2019-general-election
    3.https://www.livemint.com/news/india/ban-on-asianet-news-media-one-lifted-ahead-of-48-hour-period-11583556376149.html

The forum ‘Assignment 2’ is closed to new topics and replies.